RECIPE: Kale Artichoke Dip
Kale Artichoke Dip
Super Bowl Sunday is full of temptation. Whether you’re rooting for your favorite team or you just show up for the commercials, it’s great excuse to eat some grub. Healthy choices are hard to make when everyone around you is chowing down on fried chicken wings and greasy potato skins. We will feel a little lighter (mentally, at least) knowing we’re chomping down on some kale during the big game. How many people can say they got their daily dose of vitamins A, K, & C while watching football?
Kale is a nutrient powerhouse, so incorporating it into a crowd-pleasing appetizer is a win in our book. Use locally grown Local Roots kale in this dish for the most nutrient dense greens possible. We use custom plant “recipes” of light, nutrients, and water so our kale grows to be the best it can be! Our hyperlocal produce means that the greens you get are harvested straight from our TerraFarm and put into your local grocer, resulting in super fresh produce that lasts longer than typical leafy greens! Serve our Kale Artichoke Dip with toasted pita chips, crackers of choice, or sliced veggies, (cucumber, carrot, and bell pepper work great for this!) and cheer on your favorite team this Sunday.
TOTAL TIME: 0:45
- 1 bunch kale, leaves stripped and chopped
- 1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 8-oz. block cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 c. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 - 1/2 c. tomato, cored and diced. (depending on preference)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper (add as much or as little as you like)
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a frying pan, add the olive oil and sauté the kale, garlic, and lemon juice over medium heat until the kale is softened and the garlic is cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Take mixture out of pan and add to a large mixing bowl.
- To the large mixing bowl, add chopped artichoke hearts, cream cheese, sour cream, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper and add crushed red pepper to taste.
- Add the dip to a 9-inch circular pie pan (square glass dishes work ok too!) and bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 20-25 minutes depending on your oven. If you want the top golden-brown like in the photo, set your oven to broil and keep an eye on it until the top is nice and brown (only a few minutes).
- Top with diced tomato, extra crushed red pepper, parmesan and serve!